This is a BEAUTIFUL article, written by Heather Taylor of Incredible Infant, on natural remedies for teething babies.
Here is a piece from her article, “57 Strategies to Defeat Baby Teething Pain & Get More Sleep”.
Now all you mama’s can get some well deserved sleep!
Natural Remedies 1 thru 27:
- “A peeled a cold carrot ~ Should be as long as his hand, baby carrots are too small.
- A pickle pop ~ Sounds gross, but some babies LOVE them. Due to the acidity, it’s best for babies over 1 year old.
- A frozen cheese stick
- Slices of cold peaches in a feeding teether
- A cold cucumber slice
- Bagel slices ~ Microwave it for 30 seconds and then let it completely cool down, it will be as hard as a rock.
- Barley water and strawberry popsicles ~ Did you know barley water is a natural anti-inflammatory that can help those swollen painful gums? Grab the recipe at Small Fry.
- Momsicles ~ Freeze your breastmilk in cubes and put in a teething feeder, or freeze around a pacifier in a cube tray.
- Cold celery sticks ~ Did you know celery is a natural pain killer?
- A frozen banana wrapped in a towel
- Frozen pineapple in a teething feeder ~ Pineapple is also an anti-inflammatory with the extra ascorbic acid your baby needs to help soften the gum tissue and help the tooth break through faster!
- Diluted chamomile tea frozen and placed in teething feeder or tied inside a washcloth for gnawing
- Rub a slice of peeled ginger root on your baby’s gums
- Breastmilk slushie
- Fruit juice slushie ~ If your baby is struggling with constipation, try a slushie made from apple and prune juices!
- Ground cloves and allspice mixed with water (or unsalted butter) to form a gum paste ~ Try this on yourself first, to make sure it’s not so strong it burns.
- Homemade teething biscuits ~ This recipe at Sweet Treats & Moreis really simple, really healthy, and really effective. (Really.)
- A cold whole pickle (dill or sweet gerkins)
- A scallion ~ Cut the green part off a green onion, lightly salt the white part and let your baby gnaw on it like a 4-inch stick.
- Pure vanilla extract (not imitation) ~ Put a little on a Q-tip and spread on sore gums.
- Tahini spread ~ A sesame seed paste that resembles peanut butter, but without any nuts! A little on the gums goes a long way. (Btw, a healthy substitute for sandwiches!)
- Frozen waffles
- Olive oil on the gums
- Ginger paste ~ Ground ginger mixed with water, formula or breastmilk until it forms a gum paste.
- Nonpeppered thick beef jerky ~ Make sure the pieces are so large they can’t put it in their mouth! Use with caution!
- Breastmilk ~ Normally, I encouraged moms not to nurse to sleep for older babies…but in this case NURSE AWAY.
- A frozen upside down bottle ~ Fill it with breastmilk, formula, juice, etc. tip it upside down and freeze it for a perfectly safe ice cube to gnaw on!”
“10 Awesome Homemade Baby Teethers”
- “Your clean finger ~ It’s probably the closest I’ll ever get to mastering a DIY project.
- A semi-frozen washcloth ~ Semi-frozen, because 100% frozen washcloth could burn the gums.
- Ice chips placed inside a knotted washcloth
- A brilliant handmade NO-SEW crib teething guard cover that will protect beautiful wood cribs from tiny teeth scrapes ~ See the simple tutorial over at Simply Abby.
- A handkerchief with one corner knotted
- A semi-frozen washcloth that has been dipped in diluted chamomile tea
- A wooden stirring spoon ~ Never let your baby walk around with spoons in her mouth, she could hit something on the other end and scrape up the back of her mouth.
- Submerge a binky in water, squeezing it to soak up enough water as possible, then freeze it ~ Not for recommended for bedtime.
- A rubber spatula
- Take two clean socks, placing one inside the other, then knot the outside sock and throw it in the freezer for a few minutes.”
Incredible Infant has many other natural remedies as well…
Heather Taylor is very informative and provides natural solutions to many issues mothers face.
What a relief!
Like tips like these?
Subscribe to our Exclusive Mailing List
to receive useful information in living green and clean.
free & easy ways to go green
tricks to cleaning hard to clean spaces
feng shui pointers for a successful lifestyle
organization advice everyone should know
and much more…